Tuesday, August 23, 2011

San Francisco Immigration Lawyer Q & A: Traveling with Company A visa stamp and Company B approval notice

Question: I have been working with Company B since June 2009. Current I-797 for Company B expires in June 2012. Current H-1B visa stamp in passport is for Company A, and expires on September 7, 2011. I wish to take a quick trip to India this Friday and return on September 5, 2011. I do not have time to renew the H-1B visa stamp during this trip. If I arrive as per schedule, is there still risk that the immigration officer might not let me enter the US or only stamp my I-94 with validity till Sep 7th 2011? Also, current I-94 is valid till Dec 18th 2011. It was not stamped with I-797's expiry date of June 2012 because my passport was expiring on Dec 18th 2011; however, my renewed passport is now valid for another 10 years.

Answer: The Officer should grant you entry in H-1B status valid to the expiry date noted on your Company B I-94, June 2012. The expiry date on the visa stamp [9/7/2011] refers to the last day you may use that visa stamp to enter the US. However, it’s not uncommon for CBP to issue an I-94 valid only to the visa validity date, so don’t walk away from the counter until you have inspected your I-94 to make sure that a mistake was not made. I would also bring evidence of your current employment with B, including paystubs and/or an employment verification letter.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Michael Ryvin, Partner
Ryvin Wallace Group
1-415-765-0679
michael@ryvinlaw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment